|Tom as Pharoah!|
Jessica, the homeschool teacher, has offered to work with us on helping Tom reach specific goals. Now "all" I have to do is figure out what the goals are, break them down into objectives, and select objectives that really make sense given the setting, the other kids, and Tom's real capabilities (which are always hard to grab hold of!).
In addition to these Tues/Thurs classes which run from 9-1, here are some of my plans for the year:
- Continue with our genius of a math tutor who works with Tom on Sundays (we barter for his time, but have to travel over an hour each way!)
- Continue with our genius of a clarinet teacher, who is a whole lot closer (he's a professor at a conservatory, and an absolute jewel of a person)
- Continue with the after-school jazz band at the middle school (nervous since the wonderful and experienced band director has retired!)
- Continue with our genius of a speech/social skills therapist, who is now helping Tom to interact socially with other kids at about his age and level
- Restart tennis at a local tennis school (for reasons I can't understand, Tom seems to love and be reasonably good at tennis)
- buying a small laptop and teaching him to take notes using a keyboard (he's been learning to type on Mavis Beacon software, and he's a decent typist)
- tapping into Universally Designed software programs intended to prompt learners with LDs and other issues (much more on that soon)
- purchasing a "visual clock" that actually counts down so you can see how much time is available (Tom is still really unable to understand the concept of hours and minutes fully, though he's fine with days, weeks, months and years)
More coming very soon... meanwhile, any thoughts or questions are welcome!