Autism-Related Articles, Books, Services

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Homeschool Gym

I like the YMCA. Ever since I started working for a client who does fundraising for YMCA's, I've been impressed. They don't just spout values: they teach them. They don't just talk about inclusion: they do it. When I wanted a camp program for kids with autism, I went to the Y. They created one. It wasn't the ultimate therapeutic program - it was a YMCA daycamp that supported kids with autism.

So, even though it's a half-hour drive, I immediately signed up when I saw homeschool gym offered at a nearby YMCA.

And, by golly, my optimism was validated.

These guys are AWESOME. A Y staffer named Mike actually got Tom (and two "typically developing" boys) to "head" soccer balls, pass to team mates, and even try to steal the ball. Then a staffer named Eric got Tom swimming laps, practicing strokes, and taking his turn on the water slide.

True, Tom is a little different... he flaps a bit here and there... he's not the world's best athlete.

But guess what? He actually had a terrific time.

Leaving me TWO HOURS a week to ... oh, say, work out at the YMCA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog entry. I wish we had something like that here. My son has Asperger's Syndrome and where we are there is NOTHING around for him.

I look forward to returning and reading your entries.

Blessings~
Laura

walking said...

We loved the YMCA in St. Cloud! They had a great homeschool program there, too, and were very accommodating. How exciting for Tommy and you!